Jenn

Friday, September 7, 2012

Nap Time Notes...


I’m taking a few moments during Aiden’s morning nap to write down a few thoughts I wanted to share.


Apparently my daughter has decided to enter into the “4-month wakeful phase” about 2 weeks early. A serious parenting decision awaits us on the horizon. There are pretty much 2 different schools of thought on this issue. Everything I’ve read says that around 4 months babies go through a huge cognitive development phase where they are suddenly aware of their surroundings in a way that they haven’t been before. It’s essentially sensory overload for them in the sense that they want to LOOK and PLAY and TALK to everything. It usually disrupts their sleep patterns and it can be tough for parents that have gotten used to their little angel sleeping 10-12 hours a night. The books I have all suggest this to be a good time to start “sleep training”, which is essentially where you let your baby cry-it-out at sometime during the night. I’m not opposed to this suggestion; I’m just concerned that Aiden might be too young for it. She’s only 3.5 months, not 4. I don’t want her to feel that we’ve abandoned her at night, but I also don’t want to set a precedence that we like to play at 4 am. AAGGGHHHH!!!!!! Parenting is tough! I just want us to make the right decision and yet I realize that there probably isn’t any one true right decision.

I feel like I’m sounding more and more like a fortune cookie these days.

Aiden has started to roll from her back to her tummy. The only issue is that now anytime that you put her down in her crib for a nap or bedtime she immediately rolls onto her tummy and then gets pissed. I don’t think she’s put it together yet that she can roll both ways. It is awfully cute though, watching her roll around all the time.

We got a treadclimber! A good friend of mine had one and didn’t want it anymore, so we volunteered to take it of her hands. It’s set up in our bedroom and Tobey barked at it initially. I’ve wanted one of these for years. They used to have them up at the gym but they replaced them with stairmills about 2 years ago. I love the machine and it’s made me SO much happier. I get on it every morning when Aiden goes down for her nap. I think it’s helping me keep some of my sanity. If I choose to go to the gym in the evenings, then I miss out on the one hour where Hugh gets to play with Aiden. I hate to do that, so working out at home is the solution for now.

As of today I officially have one month of maternity leave left. While I know that going back to work is the right answer for me, I find myself wanting to stay with my baby girl. It’s going to be a tough transition for me, I can already tell. 

Hugh and I got used to not getting sleep when Aiden was a newborn, and we survived! However, it’s really tough to start getting sleep and then to lose it again. WHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Yes, I’m crying.
I was so tired yesterday, but Hugh was very sweet. After Aiden was down for the night (HA!) he told me to get into bed and he proceeded to fold the 4 loads of laundry that I’d been staring at for three days. I really do love that man!

I discovered yesterday that we have a Smart Meter on our house. I was able to go to the website and look at our energy consumption broken down into 15 minute intervals. It’s really cool, and it was interesting. We are currently using about $10 worth of energy a day. I’m going to try unplugging the TV and a few other things that we leave plugged during the day to see if it affects the usage. I’ve heard for years that leaving your cell phone charger, etc. plugged in during the day actually uses energy but now I can actually see for myself. YAY!

Wow…how much of a dork am I?


No comments:

Post a Comment