Jenn

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Red River Part II

More Red River!

The town from the ski lift. It's so pretty!


Big Texan!

Hugh and I enjoy watching the Travel Channel and some of its various shows. On one such show we saw a steakhouse in Amarillo, TX called the Big Texan. It’s famous for having a food challenge that involves one person eating a 72oz steak and several side dishes all in one sitting. Neither Hugh nor I are contenders for this food challenge but we did want to see this place. We stopped at it on our way in to Amarillo and had a great time. It’s very large and the food was good (not the best steak ever, but the atmosphere was cool) and we even got to see two people attempt the absolutely insane eating challenge.

The Big Texan.


Skiing

Hugh’s a great skier. He’s been skiing several times in his life and even took a skiing class when he was in college. I’d never been skiing. I decided to take a private lesson early one morning because the thought of me being surrounded by 5 year olds in a ski school class was just too much for me. I like kids, but there’s just only so much one person can handle. J I had a great time learning to ski. I was a quick learner and really enjoyed the whole process. I was able to get off the bunny slopes and up to a green on my first day. I made it up to a blue during the trip and decided that it was as far as I wanted to go. Hugh told me that I just needed to have confidence and trust myself and that I would be even better than I was. He kept telling me I had the ability to ski at a more difficult level, but all I could hear was, “Yeah…you’re probably going to fall over the side of the mountain.” So, I decided to go against my typical personality and I stuck to the less challenging version of skiing. I do enjoy it and I would love to ski more often. I think that with a little practice I would have more confidence and be able to ski just as well as Hugh.



 The slopes!

 Taking a lunch break at the lift house.


Playing in the snow and having a blast.


Snowmobiles

We decided to take a snowmobile tour on our last day with my uncle Clifton. Since there hadn’t been the usual amount of snowfall we had to go pretty high up in the mountains to start the tour. Hugh and I shared a machine and enjoyed the views more than anything. The only downside was that they weren’t able to groom the trails because of the lack of continuous snowfall so it was rough. When we finished we were both sore for the next two days because of the constant slamming on the ground. We did have a little accident on the snowmobile going up a steep grade. There was an ice patch and our machine just started sliding backwards down the hill (narrow hill….on the side of a mountain with other snowmobiles behind us). The machine went sideways and rolled and we went with it. It was a terrifying few moments and I’m pretty sure I lost a few lives, but we were both ok. The tour took us up to 12,605 feet at the top of a mountain. We were above the tree line and it was amazing! The views were awesome and it was so quiet. I loved it.


View from a stopping point on the tour.

12,605 feet! The ski runs you see are the Red River Ski Area.

Hugh in knee deep snow. Gotta love the helmets!


I had to include this. This is Eddie proposing to Chelsey during the snowstorm.


I see many snow vacations in our future!


No comments:

Post a Comment