Jenn

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A hard week.....


I’ve had a tough week. Not since Monday. More of a Tuesday through Wednesday kind of thing.

About two weeks ago I had to have my blood drawn. I take medication for my thyroid and needed to have it checked. My Dr. decided to run a full hormone panel on me just to make sure that I wasn’t having any other types of issues. (Thyroid is a hormone) Last Tuesday I got a phone call at home from my Dr. calling to let me know that one of my hormone levels was high and that I needed to have an MRI of my brain done. I was really confused. She explained to me that in some cases if that particular hormone level is high that it can mean there is a tumor on the pituitary gland causing it to secrete too much hormone.

I was in shock. I never in a million years expected to get a phone call like that. The hospital called me and set up my MRI for last Friday. The MRI itself sucked. It took a few tries to get my IV in since they had to do it with and without contrast. They put these sandbag type things around your head and a cage that looks like something Darth Vader wore over your face. They kept asking me if I was claustrophobic, and I have to say that I was starting to feel a tiny bit closed in. Bleh.

I spent the next few days stressed beyond belief with worry about what the results would be. I got the call today at work. I have a small tumor in my brain on my pituitary gland. I’m being referred to a neurologist to be evaluated. The good news is that IT’S NOT CANCER! I’m happy about that. Thrilled, in fact. However; I’m still not exactly excited to know that I have a tumor in my head. I feel violated just knowing it’s there. Yuck.

As much as I love the internet it can also be a little TOO much information. From what I’ve read the type of tumor that I have is usually treated either with a life-long medication regimen or by having it surgically removed. I think the best thing is to just stop reading about it and wait to see what the neurologist suggests. 

When it all comes down to it I’m thankful that it’s not cancerous. I know that it’s going to be ok. BUT, it’s scary as hell. It’s hard to go through my normal day and to try and not think about it. I’m just ready to get with the neurologist and get some more answers. I’m happy knowing that Hugh will be by my side. He does a good job of keeping me from allowing my imagination to run wild. 

I’ll keep you guys posted on what I learn. If you’re the praying type I’d appreciate you sending some my way.

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment