Jenn

Monday, September 26, 2011

Running Conversations...

I’ve been working very hard at getting ready for the MUDRUN that’s coming up in less than two weeks. I essentially picked up my Couch 2 5k app up at week 4 (ouch!) and I’ve been pounding the pavement ever since. I’m doing well. I’ve stopped staring at the ground when I run and I’m now happily moving along at 17 minute increments. Anything more than that and I’m an unhappy camper. However; if I will slow down and walk for only a minute I can get right back into running mode and do another long installment. CRAZY! I’m the most MENTAL person when it comes to running. I’m working as hard as I can to become a “runner” but I’m starting to wonder if it’s ever going to be something that I really and truly enjoy.
Hugh is a great runner. He has the build of a long distance runner but he doesn’t enjoy it. In fact, let me share with you a conversation we had while walking around the lake in our subdivision Sunday morning.
Jenn: “As hard as I’m working with the running thing I’m just not sure that I’ll ever love it. I’m not sure if I’ll ever be a runner.”
Hugh: “I hate running.”
Jenn: “I know you hate it, but you’re good at it. Do you even keep track? How do you know how far you’re going?”
Hugh: “I don’t. I just run until I’m tired and then I stop.”
Jenn: “Um. Yeah. If I did that I wouldn’t make it past the mailbox.”
We changed subjects for a minute because I was busy looking at someone’s amazing backyard and almost stepped on a fish head that had been left on the sidewalk (we’re walking on the sidewalk between the houses and their docks) and Hugh thought I was having a seizure when I was simply attempting to not step on said fish head.
Jenn: “So you have no desire to ever become a marathon runner?”
Hugh: “No. In fact; my worst nightmare involves me having to run a long distance with someone following me and brushing their teeth the entire time.”
Jenn: “Hmm….I think my worst nightmare would be running a long distance with someone NOT brushing their teeth behind me. Dirty teeth are so gross.”
So there you have it. An insider’s look to what Hugh and I spend our time discussing while we’re out and about. Also, you now know that Hugh hates the sound of someone brushing their teeth.
I know that I’ll be ready for the MUDRUN on October 8th. It’ll be fun and I know we will both enjoy it. I’m just going to keep at it with the running and focus on what I’m going to wear instead of worrying about the run.
Love,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment