Jenn

Monday, February 27, 2012

Tobey Update!

Tobey had his surgery last week. After a month of deliberation Hugh and I decided to go with the FHO procedure. This is where the surgeon removes a small portion of the bone from the top of the femur. Essentially, this removes the bone-on-bone problem and allows him relief from the pain. Tobey went in last Tuesday and he was able to come home late Wednesday. I have to say that I drove 30mph the entire way home from the vet with him. I was scared to death that I was going to cause him unnecessary pain. He’s got a 6 inch scar and a shaved hind-quarter. We go back in two weeks to get the stitches removed.

He’s doing very well. He moves quickly on three legs and is starting to slowly but surely use his “bad” leg. We were told to expect this for several weeks, but it still has me worried. He seems to forget that he’s recovering and attempts to do things like jump on our bed. (He managed to get up, got upset and then I had to pick him up and put him back on the floor)Hugh’s mom brought him and Cassie each a new doggie blanket and Tobey loves his. He’s been sleeping on it every night since she brought it over.
He’s getting better every day, and I’m looking forward to the day that he’s using his back legs at 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment