Jenn

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Newlyweds!!

“Oh…I forget, you’re newlyweds. That’ll stop soon.”

“Just wait until you’ve been in a relationship as long as we have and then things will be different.”

“Real life will set in one day, and then you won’t do that kind of stuff together.”

AAAGGHHH!!!! I can’t stand this type of negativity. It’s almost like people can’t stand to see happiness and feel the need to try and squish it like a bug. Why is that? Sometimes it feels like there’s some big contest and the people that have been in relationships the longest “win” by telling other people how crappy life gets to be. What’s the deal? Is there some sort of prize for doing your best at trying to bring other people down?

I realize that there are many things to learn from experience. I know that relationships change and things that once were new and exciting can become old and routine. BUT, I don’t think that relationships have to get boring. They take work and care, but they CAN be awesome!

Alright, I’ll get off my soapbox. On to something that I’d like to share!

Yesterday afternoon I was on my way home from the gym when I had a sudden random thought. I called Hugh to ask him about it. Here was our conversation:

Hugh: “Hey, what’s up?”

Jenn: “So….at what point in my life do you think I’ll stop wanting to eat french fries? I mean, I realize they’re bad for me but they’re just so dang good.”

Hugh: “Oh. I don’t think that’s something you’ll ever stop wanting. You know, since they’re so delicious.”

Jenn: *sigh* “That’s what I thought. Love you, bye!”

Notice that he didn't even ask why I was calling simply to ask about french fries! This is one of the reasons why I love him so much. He gets me. I got home and proceeded to make our favorite tomato almond pesto for dinner. I’m working and suddenly, Hugh walks in with a bag of fries from McDonald’s and a smile. They were amazing. I can’t even recall the last time that I’ve actually had fries, but these were the best ever. I love that he does stuff like this for me. It makes my heart happy!

I guess my point about all of this is that it shouldn’t matter if you’ve been married 5 days or 50 years. It’s all about being thoughtful and caring about your spouse. I love my husband, he’s my best friend. AND…if you want to try and rain on my parade please understand that I’m not above violence, retribution, or just petty revenge. (insert evil laugh)


No comments:

Post a Comment