Jenn

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Just what the Dr. ordered...

I realize that this might seem like a strange post topic, but with all of the "thankful" posts and such I thought I'd throw in something of my own.
Hugh and I both see the same “regular” Dr. He’s a family practice doctor with a specialty in Sports Medicine. Hugh and I both just LOVE him. He’s very smart, cost-conscious and he’s just an overall nice guy. Let me share with you some of the reasons we think he’s so great.
Hugh went in once for what he thought was a broken foot. We’d gone on an 8 mile hike and he was having some excruciating pain in one of his feet. We get in the exam room and after listening to Hugh describe the issue he has him take off his shoe.
Dr. Awesome: “HA! Brother-you’re flat footed as a duck! No wonder your foot is killing you.”
The solution: He used some athletic tape to bind Hugh’s arch and told him that he needed to switch to a running shoe that has serious arch support. He also suggested that he get orthotics- but not the $600 ones that you get from a podiatrist. “If you’re going to get them let me know, I’ll send you to a friend that will make them for $100.” Hugh’s foot was 100% better in two days. We didn’t have to pay for an x-ray or a boot. Hugh started buying better arch support running shoes and he’s had no issues since.
He will EMAIL you. Seriously. Here are some of my favorite email exchanges:
Jenn: Hey Doc. Should Hugh and I get flu shots? I mean, do they really work or are they just some government conspiracy designed to make us give more money to the pharmaceutical companies?
Dr. Awesome: That’s just dumb. Get a flu shot.
Recently, I broke out with some fever blisters (fun pregnancy stuff!) and I wanted them GONE! So, I emailed my dr.
Jenn: So, I have fever blisters and they are disgusting. If I were a hooker, I’d be eligible for disability. I want them GONE! Please help.
Dr. Awesome: You’re hilarious. Send me your pharmacy number.
Can you see why we think he’s so incredible? I feel like our doc is one of those “throw-backs” that you don’t see any more. He’s a genuine, smart doctor that truly cares for his patients. Hugh and I consider ourselves very lucky to have such a great doctor. J

No comments:

Post a Comment