Jenn

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The McCrea house is growing!

We’re having a baby!!
YAY!
Hugh and I are thrilled to announce that we’re expecting our first child in June. My official due date is 6/10/12, one day before our anniversary and three days before my birthday. I’m currently 10 weeks along and doing well. Hugh and I were able to see and hear the baby’s heartbeat at our appointment when I was 7 weeks along. My heart rate was 77, the baby’s was 154 and on the ultrasound our little June bug looked a bit like a dinosaur.
We told our families this past Saturday at a lunch for Hugh’s birthday. I’d ordered a little onesie that says “PSU Tiny Lion” on the front and “McCrea” with a number 1 on the back. Hugh opened it as his last gift. Everyone was surprised and excited for us. We’ve decided to not find out the sex of the baby, and I think that makes it even more exciting.
Kudos to Maegan for taking such a great picture!


One thing I must say is this: Hugh has been hands-down the best husband ever. He has been so supportive and sweet. I’ve been very sick with this baby for the past 7 weeks. He’s done everything! He’s cooked, cleaned, made me grilled cheese sandwiches after he’s already made a meal that I suddenly can’t stand the smell of. There has been no limit to his kindness and understanding. I had to sit out of a 10k obstacle course race that I’d been looking forward to for months and I literally sat on the floor and cried about it. For an hour. He just sat there holding me and telling me that he’ll run it with me next year. I love him so much and I’m very thankful that I’ve been blessed with such an incredible partner in life.
I’ve had a bit of a hard time adjusting to pregnancy. I guess I just had this thought in my head that I would deal with it like I deal with everything else; take it in, process it, compartmentalize it and then go about my usual life. Umm, not so much. First off, I’ve been exhausted. I’ve discovered this entire new level of tired that I didn’t even know existed. I would come home from work with dinner plans in my head and my work out planned out and I wouldn’t make it past the couch. I would just lie down and pass out. Then, I would wake up and Hugh would try and make me eat dinner. Here’s a recap of about 300 conversations that we had:

Hugh: “What do you want for dinner?”
Jenn: “Nothing. I feel nauseous and I didn’t make it to the gym. I don’t need calories at the moment.”
Hugh: “You’re going to eat dinner. The baby wants to eat.”
Jenn: “Did the baby tell you that?”
Hugh: “You talk too much. What do you want to eat?
Jenn: “FINE! Grilled Cheese.”
Hugh goes into the kitchen and begins to make grilled cheese. Jenn sits in a chair and watches.
Jenn: “You’re making it wrong.”
Hugh: “No, I’m not.”
Jenn: “I’m not eating that.”
Hugh: “Yes, you are.”
Jenn: “Fine!”
Jenn then proceeds to eat the entire grilled cheese.
Jenn: “Thank you for making me a grilled cheese. We’re going to have to discuss how we’re going to teach our child how to properly make a grilled cheese.”
Hugh: “You talk too much. Now you can go back to sleep.”
Isn’t he amazing? I would have left me a long, long time ago.

The other adjustment I’ve struggled with is my work out routine. Because of my asthma, I’m being treated jointly by my regular sports medicine physician and my OB. Originally, my OB told me that I needed to keep my heart rate under 140 when I work out. That pretty much means that I have to spend my entire time at the gym on an elliptical climber. BORING! My other Dr. and my OB discussed this (he basically explained to her that I would go nutso if I was that restricted) and I have much more leniency with my work outs. I still can’t go to spin class, or ride my bike but I’m much happier being able to lift weights and swim to my heart’s content.
We go back to the doctor on November 22nd, where we’ll have first trimester screening ultrasound and a check-up. I’ll post more when we know more!
This is my ultrasound from when I was 7 weeks and 3 days along. The baby looks more like a dinosaur than anything else to me.
Until then,



1 comment:

  1. We couldn't be happier for you both! You will be wonderful parents! Come to my house. I will make you grilled cheese...and good pancakes.

    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete