Jenn

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Confession...


I have a serious addiction and I figure that it’s time for me to come clean about it. I love bacon. When I say love, I don’t mean, “Oh?? Bacon or Sausage? Well, I guess I’ll go with bacon.” I’m more of a: “Double side of bacon extra crispy.” kind of person.

Usually, this whole weird love addiction isn’t a problem. I typically eat bacon about three times a year. We seldom eat breakfast out, so no worries there. We don’t eat breakfast for dinner because Hugh doesn’t like it. (Seriously….sometimes I wonder how we ever ended up together. Who doesn’t like breakfast for dinner?) I don’t allow myself to ever buy bacon unless it’s for a recipe; simply because I’ll cook it and eat it. The whole damn package and not even feel a bit of regret about it.

My mother sent me a cooking magazine recently and I decided that I wanted to try a new recipe called, “Spicy Sautéed Green Beans”. It looked delicious. Fresh green beans, straight from Canino’s Market, onion, balsamic vinegar, chili oil paste and a little crumbled cooked bacon.  It really sounded good. I pulled out the bacon and put four extra thin pieces in the skillet to cook. I decided that I would cook the bacon and then proceed on with the recipe. Hugh was at the gym so I had some time to get it all done.

Well…

I ended up having bacon, eggs and toast for dinner. Hugh will be eating a sandwich or leftovers. The green beans are still in the fridge and I’m happy that the house smells like bacon.

I blame my grandmother for all of this. Mema loved bacon. To this day I’ve never had a bacon sandwich like the ones she used to make me. Any time I visited her it was always a guarantee that there would be bacon at some point. She taught me how to make my bacon crispy, limp bacon is a sin. She also taught me how after you’ve finished cooking your bacon you can pour off the majority of the grease and then cook your eggs in the remnants. Dear Sweet Lord…there’s nothing quite like eggs that have been cooked in bacon drippings. 

Ok…I’m stopping now. I’ve pontificated about bacon for long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment