Jenn

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Turkey Day Food Shopping!

Last night Hugh and I went shopping for all of our Thanksgiving food. We’re heading up to College Station next Thursday to have dinner with my parents and siblings, and then we’re hosting the McCrea’s at our house on Friday. It’s going to be fun, and I’m looking forward to spending some quality time in the kitchen.

Shopping Trip:

Alright, I’ve never cooked a turkey for Thanksgiving. Other than the one turkey frying experiment that Hugh and I conducted, we’re turkey cooking virgins. With this in mind we decided to buy two turkeys, one to practice with and one for the real dinner. I’ll keep you updated on the practice turkey escapade.

I created a menu and then made a list of what all we needed from the store. I then put it into an Excel spreadsheet according to which department the items were located in the store. I sent it to Hugh and asked him to “pretty it up” since he’s the King of All Things Excel. Before we headed out to HEB we went through all of our coupons and pulled out all of the ones that we thought we’d need.

We went through the store pretty quickly. Hugh discovered that HEB was having a promotion where if you purchase $20 worth of food then you can get a turkey at 22 cents a pound with a limit of one. Since we needed two turkeys Hugh went and got another cart, divvied up our groceries and we checked out twice. Overall, we did very well and I’m really looking forward to cooking and spending time with family.

I'll keep you updated about our turkey happenings!

Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment